Wednesday 27 February 2013

Research for Booklet

I have found a company that produced origional copybooks that shown the user how to create ornamental writing. They were produced in the victorian era, and they are a perfect example of the type of copy book that I want to produce with my victorian handwriting that I have developed and vectored in illustrator.


I really like the layout and the grid structure of the pages in these copy books. The lines are really delicate and the book has a sophisticated look, it does not look like it was created for a child to improve handwriting but for an adult that has a love for handwriting and letter forms. The cover and inside pages for text look like they were completed on a typewriter. Perhaps this is something that I could do with my copybook. I know that I am already producing my professional contexts book on the typewriter, but I think that this book would be a perfect use of the typewriter. The text would be delicate and typical of fine copy books of the period. Perhaps then, if I printed all of the pages digitally with the text that I have vectored, and then added the typewriter font and worked on a front cover? This may be a solution to the copybook production. It is already going to be very interesting because of the people that I have chose to base the handwriting on. Therefore, I believe a simple, no frills layout such as the one seen here would be best suited for the copy book. When producing the grid structure for each writers style, I need to look closely at how the origional text was written, and how lines were formed etc. For instance, Jack the Ripper,s lines were certainly not straight and structured like you see here. His handwriting was awful and scrawled into the page. Also, I wish to create details such as line height, x height lines and cap height lines.







No comments:

Post a Comment