Friday 18 January 2013

Victorian writing style research

I have found a really useful link which describes in very simple terms how the Victorians used to write:
http://www.niarchive.org/directory/uploads/8872c70b-e26a-47d5-8d9d-7c1180106d61/Copperplate_Victorian%20Handwriting.pdf
In this document it describes how important handwriting was to Victorians. Children were taught at school how to write using slate and chalk. Only when they were competent at writing on slate were they allowed to use a dip pen and ink. They learnt from copy books which were printed from copper plates. The writing style is known as copperplate because of this reason.
By the end of the Victorian era almost all children got the opportunity to learn to read and write. In most mainstream calligraphy writing styles, the nib of the pen is chiseled. This creates a varying width of line when letters are formed. In the Victorian era, to write in copperplate a sharp nib pen was used. A thin stroke was created through little pressure applied, a thicker stroke was generated through greater pressure of pen to paper.
What I am most interested in is the strictness behind the art of writing and the consideration behind the process of writing in the Victorian times. I feel that this has been completely lost in the modern era. Now, it is all about speed and in many ways I feel that people now are lazy. I think it would be good practice if we still learnt how to write in copperplate in school.
I have also found a fantastic article which shows in great detail how to write in copperplate script, the writing style of the Victorians. http://www.iampeth.com/lessons/getting_started/getting_started.pdf. It explores in great detail how to create the strokes of the writing style and the equipment that you would need to perfect the handwriting. I think that it will do me good to start to learn how to write in a copperplate script style. I think that for me to truly understand writing in the Victorian era and what it is like to properly consider my own handwriting in the present day then I must practice what I preach. I must learn fluently how to write like a Victorian. I will learn the handwriting in a similar way to how the Victorians did. I will practice until I know each letter form fluently. What I am particularly interested in is the delicate nature of the writing and the variation of stroke thicknesses. Also, it is interesting that there is a perfect writing angle for this style of handwriting, typically 52-55 degrees as outlined in the document above. Then, I could transcribe what I have learnt some way in a visual document. Perhaps I could record how many times it takes me to write a letter before I get the letter perfect? This would make a very interesting info graphic and would encourage people to consider their handwriting more.

This is the writing style that I will be learning how to write in- Copperplate round developed in the Victorian Era. It is a beautiful, elegant way of writing. 






No comments:

Post a Comment